Image via Wikipedia
Image via Wikipedia
Across the ages archeologists have dug up ancient scripts, scrolls, papyruses and engraved markings on stones and have been stumped by the language until a Rosetta-like stone appears, paving the way to understanding. Some languages are dead languages, some we can translate but we have no idea of how that language is spoken. Computer programming language is not a linguistic language, one that crosses human communication barriers, but is one that simply delivers a line of commands to a machine that will promptly obey it. To do this, a computer programming language is an algorithm, an artificial language, a computation and a delivery of form and meaning that has a written specification.
Each and every operation done by a computer, from the moment it is switched on, is run by a specific program which is written in a specific language. A language can be written to check the RAM of a computer, another can be written to run the software while another is used to run a virus scan.
Computer programmers use several different languages for different functions. Some use them for hardware functions, some for database networking, some for software programming and others are written for simple programs that are designed to be run just once to complete a very specific task.
All computer programming language have syntax. Syntax is the sequence of text such as words, numbers or other symbols that are used to form the semantics of the language. In other words, that line of symbols forms a meaning. A computer programming language must contain logic, just as any linguistic language must in order for a computer to properly understand the command.
There are thousands of computer programming language available for programmers to use, however the trend has been towards consolidation of these languages and a few basic languages have risen to the top as the most popular and often used. C++, Java, Ruby, SQL and others are among the rising stars. These programming languages often took thousands of man hours to create.
People are constantly on the go and whether or not it is for leisure or pleasure finding things that simplify your life are always welcomed. The internet is definitely something that simplifies the life of thousand if not millions of people each day. There are those that use their computers to connect with other people, to make purchases, to research various types of information, and even for employment purposes. In order to accomplish these tasks some even go the extra mile and learn computer programming language to make their experiences with the computer a lot more successful.
An artificial language or a programming language is intended to articulate computations that can be carried out by a machine, mainly a computer. This language can be utilized to create programs that manage the behavior of a machine, for human communication, or to precisely express algorithms. Many programming languages have some form of written requirement of their meaning and form. There are languages that are described by a designed document. An example of this would be a language such as Perl that has a governing implementation, which is used as an indication.
Understanding Programming Languages
● Elements-These types of languages have some types of primitive building blocks for the depiction of information and the transformation and processes applied to them. The primitives are described by semantic and syntactic rules that give account for the respective meanings and structure.
● Syntax-This is the surface form of this type of language. Most are purely textual which mean they use sequences of text including punctuation, number and words, similar to that of written languages. There are also some that are graphical in nature, which means the use visual relationships between symbols to identify a program.
● Static Semantics-This defines limitations on the structure of official texts that are hard to convey in usual syntactic formalisms.
There are many ways that a computer can be a huge benefit to most people’s life. First, people can utilize automated task completion, which cuts out ordinary tasks. An example would be in the area of online banking, which sometimes offers auto pay services that allow bills to be paid automatically each month from your bank account. This serves to free time that can be spent elsewhere and also eliminate paperwork. There are also those who use a computer programming language as a tool to control the behavior of machines by creating a program or to connect with other.
Computer Programming Basics:
This is also know as an artificial language which is made to communicate computations by which a machine can carry them out. A computer is usually the machine of choice.
● Type system-This describes how a programming language categorizes expressions and values into types, how they interact and how it can control those types. In a type system the aim is to confirm and likely enforce a certain level of exactness in programs written in that language by spotting certain incorrect operations. The problem with systems such as this is that although they may reject many incorrect programs they may also forbid many correct programs.
● Execution semantics-Once information has been identified, the machine (computer) is instructed to perform operation on the information. Execution semantics of a language describes when and how the various constructs of a language should make a program behavior. Execution semantics can be described in many ways. This type of language that is commonly used in practice is often specified by natural language. Formal semantics of computer programming language allows execution semantics to be specific in a formal manner and a lot of research went into it. This field has resulted in limited applications to implements outside academia and computer programming language.
When some people hear the word ‘language’ in computer programming language, they instantly think of naturally flowing conversation as occurs in human language. While computer programming language does flow in its own way, this flow is starkly different from the flow of human language. Here are a few major differences between both types of language as well as one similarity just to mix things up a bit.
While humans use language to communicate with each other for a variety of different reasons, computer programming exists for one purpose – to tell computers how to perform a task. Granted, there are many different kinds of computer programming languages but they all exist to perform a specific function. While human language exists for communication, it can be used in countless different ways, making it extremely unpredictable and, in a way, unreliable.
Another difference between human language and computer programming language is computer language must stick to a specific script to be of any use in performing its designated task. Human language on the other hand doesn’t have to follow a specific script as evidenced in naturally flowing conversations. While official human languages exist, these languages are adapted with many short hand versions such as slang. It computer programming language were used in such a way, it would essentially be useless.
One similarity between human language and computer programming language is there are many different types of each. Just as many countries have their own languages, so to exist different programming languages. Just a few examples of the thousands of computer programming languages that currently exist include C and Java. Each programming language was created to perform a specific task that previous ones didn’t perform.
Again, although human language and computer programming languages are very different in many ways, they both exist to create communication. With humans, language exists so people can communicate easily with each other. With computers, language exists so computers can communicate in order to perform specific tasks.
© Copyright 2013 Speak Computer Programming . All rights reserved.